Saturday, June 13, 2009

It's now or never, right?

Alright, the purpose and explanation of the blog will come later, but until then, I think people will need a idea of what the blog will be like. So, as a sample, here's me and my notes on the first opening of the show.

FUN FACT: This is word from word on my original post. The reason I did the first opening was becuase it was to be a test to see if the thread would go anywhere. Take a good guess on what happen.

"Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Opening #1"

-You know, the ominous bells cue before "Moonlight Densetsu" works the best in this opening, mostly because the cue works with the imaginary you're seeing, what with the dark clouds and ominous music giving you an unsure feeling. The bell cue doesn't quite have the same punch with the other openings.
-Someone in another forums once pointed out that the backgrounds look like something Salvador Dali would work on. I think that's a complement.
-As a synchronization nut, I like how once the percussion kicks in, the title completes itself with the flowers and "Bishoujo Senshi" part. I don't why, but I always get a kick out of stuff like that.
-I never quite get on how in openings in anime, they always spoiled moments that the audience isn't supposed to know yet. I mean, seeing the Sailor Senshi in the opening of the FIRST episode doesn't really have "good idea" written all over it.
-Wow, Tuxedo Mask's cape thing really is a eye popper. Man, this opening really is a eye pleasure, isn't it?
-I really like on how the opening uses silhouettes, especially the way it was used in the first Moon/Mercury/Mars scene. Not only does it pleases the eye and brings visual interest, it shows Matt Groening's theory about silhouettes pretty well.
-I don't know why, but there's something symbolic/of interest of seeing Usagi and Sailor Moon in the same fame. It's like a spiritual connection you can't describe, you know?
-I've never noticed the moon going through it phases during the first Moon/Mercury/Mars scene. Seeing it now, it really is a visual treat and brings in the meaning of the lyric during the scene.
-It's interesting to note that while Usagi, Ami, and Rei spin, the lyric during this moment is "We will meet each other again and again." That's quite a stretch for a coincidence, don't you think?
-Check out the synchronization in the Queen Beryl part. To quote Strong Sad, "Isn't that great?"
-The low angle shot of Usagi starting at the moon at the end really feels moody, and that's a good thing.
Overall: As a opening, it really served it's purpose quite well. It provides interest, serves as a visual treat, brings you right in the mood, yeah, it's pretty much everything an opening to a kid's show can provide. While it's not one of my favorite openings in the series, I must admit, it's a really good one. Probably #3 of the four DAIL openings.

All images are from "the oracle". I don't claim the pictures as my own.

No comments: